This course is designed to acquire the knowledge about the rock mechanics and their role in the construction of huge structure. This will help the students in learning various techniques of determination of physical and geotechnical parameters of soils and rocks for construction of buildings and foundations.
The outcome of this course will be:
- Students will be knowing basic rock types and classification system
- Students will be able to demonstrate ky structural geometries in relation to Plate Tectonic setting
- Students will be knowing surfaces of erosion and formation of soils.
- Students can perform rock strength test and will set zones of weaker regions.
- The key classification of durability of Rocks in dry and wet condition with durability test.
- Students can perform Engineering and physical properties of rocks. Geological technical properties of rocks used as building stones, as decorative stones and as industrial rocks such as color, luster, streak, specific gravity, water absorption and unit weight etc.
- Students can manage to handle role of geology in selection of sites for dams, reservoirs, tunnels, ports/harbors and other civil engineering structures
- Students will be aware of earth quake hazards, landslides and etc. Local geological condition will be known for any such environmental disaster.
- Subinoy Gangopadhyay, 2013, Engineering Geology.
- F G Bell, 2007, EngineeringGeology, Second Edition
Course Start Date: January 13, 2020
Course End Date: May 08, 2020
Monday 12:00 -1:00 PM
Tuesday 12:00- 1:00 PM
Wednesday 12:00 -1:00 PM
Sesional : 20 [Assingments (05) Presentations (05) Quiz (05) Atttendance (05)]
Mid Term (Term paper): 30
Final exam: 50