Introduction : The course provides an in depth examination of project management principles and modern software project management practices. At the end of the course the students will be able to explain principles of the project lifecycle and how to identify opportunities to work with learners on relevant and appropriate project scenarios to share this understanding. Critically evaluate and discuss the issues around project management and its application in the real world with course participants and learners. Objectives of the course includes: Understanding the five process groups and nine knowledge areas of the PMI BOK. To understand approaches for managing and optimizing the software development process. To understand efficient techniques for managing each phase of the systems development lifecycle and to use and application of tools to facilitate the software project management process (e.g. Microsoft Project). Methods for managing and optimizing the software development process are discussed along with techniques for performing each phase of the systems development lifecycle
Course Code: IT-4349
Credit Hours: 03
Prerequisites: CMP-3310 (Software Engineering)
Learning outcome:To develop students‘ ability to plan and manage software development projects successfully, maximizing the return from each stage of the software development life cycle.
- Introduction: Software Project Versus Other Type of Projects
- Introduction of PM Tools, PMI‘s Knowledge Areas, Technical Fundamentals in SPM, Lifecycle Relationships, Classic Mistakes Product-Process-Peoples-Technology Mistakes
- PMI Framework, PMI Process Groups: Process Initiating Process Group, Planning Process Group, Executing Process, Process Monitoring and controlling, Closing Process Group, Project Charter, Statement of Work.
- Understanding Organizations, Organizational Structures, Functional -Project –Matrix Organizational Impact on Projects, Identifying stakeholders: Define Responsibilities, Authority Relationships, Position Qualifications.
- Project Planning.
- Project Evaluation, Types of Contracts.
- Selection of an Appropriate Approach in Project.
- Software Effort Estimation.
- Activity Planning: Project and Activities, Sequencings and Scheduling Activities.
- Risk Management
- Risk Control, RMMM, Configuration Management & Maintenance, Environment for Configuration Control, Configuration Control vs. Version Control
- Resource Allocation.
- Monitoring & Control.
- Review and Evaluation.
- Challenges of Outsourcing in Project Management, Presentations
• Software Project Management by Bob Hughes and Mike Cotterell, McGraw-Hill Education; 5th Edition (2009). ISBN-10: 0077122798
• A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, 3rd Edition (PMBOK Guides), ISBN-13: 978-1930699458
Assignment 1 04 marks
Assignment 2 04 marks
Quiz 1 04 marks
Quiz 2 04 marks
Attendance 04 marks
Mid Term: 30
Final exam: 50
Class Timing :
BSCS 7th Regular
Monday 11: 00 am - 12: 30 pm
Wednesday 9: 30 am - 11:00
BSCS 7th Self
Wednesday 12: 30 pm - 2: 00 pm
Thursday 12: 30 pm - 2: 00 pm