The aim of this course is to develop and impart appropriate understanding, comprehesion and the skill of Academic Writing. This course will train the learners to write descriptive, narrative, discursive and argumentative essays. this course will also enable the students to write research proposals, research articles and dissertations. The special focus of this course is on style, content, language, form, clarity and consistency in Academic Writing in English.
Furthermore, the course will also enhance the students’ understanding of ethical considerations in writing academic assignments and topics including citation, plagiarism, formatting and referencing the sources as well as the technical aspects involved in referencing.
- Academic vocabulary
- Quoting, summarizing and paraphrasing texts
- Process of academic writing
- Developing argument
- Rhetoric: persuasion and identification
- Elements of rhetoric: Text, author, audience, purposes, setting
- Sentence structure: Accuracy, variation, appropriateness, and conciseness
- Appropriate use of active and passive voice
- Paragraph and essay writing
- Organization and structure of paragraph and essay
- Logical reasoning
- Transitional devices (word, phrase and expressions)
- Development of ideas in writing
- Styles of documentation (MLA and APA)
- In-text citations
- Plagiarism and strategies for avoiding it
- Swales, J. M., & Feak, C. B. (2012). Academic writing for graduate students: Essential tasks and skills (3rd ed.). Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press.
- Bailey, S. (2011). Academic writing: A handbook for international students (3rd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Craswell, G. (2004). Writing for academic success. London: SAGE.
- Johnson-Sheehan, R. (2019). Writing today. Don Mills: Pearson.
- Silvia, P. J. (2019). How to write a lot: A practical guide to productive academic writing. Washington: American Psychological Association.
Course Pre-Requisites: Grammar and Comprehension
Mid Term: 30
- Project: 05
- Presentation: 05
- Participation: 05
- Attendance: 05
Final exam: 50
BS LIS III (SS)
Wed- ,Thu : 2:30-4:00