Some curves, such as the cycloid, are best handled when both x and y are given in terms of a third variable t called a parameter. Other curves, such as the cardioid, have their most convenient description when we use a new coordinate system, called the polar coordinate system. Physicists use series in studying fields as diverse as optics, special relativity, and electromagnetism, they analyze phenomena by replacing a function with the first few terms in the series that represents it.
Applications of Differentials (MATH-5120)
Techniques of Integration (MATH-5121)
This course is a continuation of MATH-5120 and MATH-5121.In this course, we discuss two new methods for describing curves and use of infinite series in different physical problems.
1. Parametric Equations: Curves defined by Parametric Equations
2. Calculus with Parametric Curves
3. Polar Coordinates: Introduction
4. Areas and Lengths in Polar Coordinates
5. Conic Sections, Conic Sections in Polar Coordinates
6. Infinite Sequence and Series: Sequences, Series
7. The Integral Test and Estimates of Sums
8. The Comparison Tests, Alternating Series
9. Absolute Convergence and the Ratio and Root Test
10. Strategy for Testing Series, Power Series
11. Functions as Power Series
12. Taylor and Maclaurin Series.
Calculus Early Transcendentals, eighth edition by James Stewart (Chapter 10 and 11)
- Thomas Calculus Latest ed. (Addison Wesley Publishing Company)
- Anton H., Bevens I., Davis H. Calculus Latest ed. (John Wiley & Sons, Inc.)
- Larson E. Calculus Latest ed.(Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning)
RESEARCH PROJECT /PRACTICALS/LABS/ASSIGNMENTS
1. Solving integrals involving parametr and polar coordinates from others books, e.g Calculus by Thomas and Calculus by H. Anton.
2. Use of graphing app to plot the parametric and polar curves for calculations of area and voulmes.
3. Convergence of series by computer applications via integrals.
Sessional: 20 (Presentation / Assignment 10, Attendance 05, Quiz 05)
Mid-Term Exam: 30
Final-Term Exam: 50
Key Dates and Time of Class Meeting
Wednesday 09:00 am-10:00 am
Thursday 09:00 am-10:00 am
Friday 09:00 am-10:00 am
Commencement of Classes October 12, 2020
Mid Term Examination December 14-18, 2020
Final Term Examination February 08-12, 2021
Declaration of Result February 19, 2021