This course is designed to give knowledge to the students about the introduction of medical laboratories in medical and healthcare field. General introduction, importance, infrastructure, problems and the solutions of the problems encountered in various laboratories related to Allied Health Sciences disciplines including Pathology, Radiology, Surgery/OT and Public Health lab Sciences etc will be the main focus of this course. Knowledge about the basic laboratory procedures, preparation of different types of buffer solutions, and reagents. The existing status of Allied Health Profession and professionals in healthcare settings. Provide knowledge about different type of pipetting techniques and practical hands on training in pipetting for most sensitive and advanced diagnostic tests.
Introduction to different sub-disciplines of Allied Health Sciences including Pathology Lab Sciences, Surgery / OT Lab Sciences, Radiology Lab Sciences, Public Health Lab Sciences. Introduction to equipments, chemicals, kits and glass wares etc used in various sub disciplines of Allied Health Sciences.
General introduction, importance in the field, infrastructure & related materials, problems related to the field and solutions of the problems encountered in various relevant disciplines of Allied Health Sciences.
Use of PPEs, Preparation of solutions, Measurements of volume, Pipetting and dispensing practice, Handling of laboratory equipments, chemicals, reagents, Preparation of standards and control solutions, Preparing sample layout for laboratory record keeping, Sterilization of laboratory items. Collection, transport and storage of different types of specimens for laboratory investigations.
At the end of this course, the students will be:
• Able to demonstrate the basics of allied health sciences and various sub-disciplines of allied health.
• Familiar with all the basic laboratory procedures and the principles for working in the clinical laboratories.
• Well aware of the responsibilities of allied health professionals
• Know about the proper use of PPEs
• Well aware about personal protection; hygiene and trouble shooting of laboratory procedures
• Springers Handbook of Medical Technology by Rüdiger Kramme, Klaus-Peter Hoffmann, Robert S. Pozos (Eds.) 2011
• Essentials of Radiology by Fred A Mettler Latest Edition
• Manual of Laboratory Medicine by AFIP
• Medical laboratory Manual for Tropical Countries by Monica Cheesbrough Volume:1 Latest Edition
• Short practice and surgery by Bailey and Love Latest Edition.
• Text book of community medicine by Parke J. E. Latest Edition
• Basic Medical Lab Technology by CJ Kirk and RN Peel
• Text Book of Public Health and Community Medicine First edition, 2009
Assessment schedule: 3 tests & one send-up written examination before the annual exam.
Theory paper: 135 Marks
Internal Assessment: 20 Marks (Based on class performance, and attendance)
Practical: 45 Marks
Classes Schedule: Monday, Wednesday: 11:20 AM - 12:10 PM
Start Date: January 11, 2021